Thursday, September 24, 2009

September 24

Hola everyone!

I'm just going to write a quick entry tonight because I'm exhaustedddd- its been a busy few days. Everything at work is going great-- La Asociacion Nuestros Ahijados has been amazing and so accomodating-- I'm working in the Grants Department as of right now, as an assistant to the one-woman team who puts grant proposals together. Its a lot to learn since I'm starting from scratch but I'm been browsing through "Grant Writing for Dummies" and its really interesting stuff. I'll write much more about it later.

I take a "tuk-tuk" to work every morning, and that in itself is an experience. I think they have them in India as well. They're three-wheeled "cabs" if you will, except they don't have doors and they have the motor-power of a scooter. For this it costs 10 quetzales (about equivalent to $1.25) all the way outside of town, so not too bad. The drivers are usually real nice and willing to chat when they can be heard over the clattering and shaking of the tuk tuk over the cobblestones.



Once at ANA I work in a glass-enclosed little casita in the middle of a garden outside of the main office, medical clinic, and school. There is a fountain right outside the door, flowers everywhere, and the sounds of the kids at recess nearby. Its wonderful! Every now and then a little kid pops his or her head in and chats with me for a little bit-- they're so adorable! Probably the best part of working there is being able to look around and see exactly what we're working for-- it makes it easy to articulate our vision for what Guatemala could be.

In the afternoons its another tuk-tuk ride back to la escuela, I pop on over to Maria-Elsa's for lunch and then start the 4 hour long lessons in the afternoon. My maestra, Helen, is amazing, we've gotten to be really good buddies and we basically just chat en espanol for 4 hours.

James & I are heading to Coban this weekend with a group from the school. There are waterfalls and limestone bridges and a park for quetzals (the national bird of Guatemala-- its quite colorful, just like the rest of the country). Pictures and stories from the weekend soon to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment