Monday, September 14, 2009

The Journey Begins!

Tomorrow is the big day!

I’m flying out of BWI to Miami, then to Guatemala City. The very nice people from the language school are supposed to be at the airport to pick me up, which is perfect because I’ll arrive after dark and Guat City is a slightly menacing place, not somewhere I’d prefer to try to catch a bus in at night.

Then I go to meet my home stay family!! The woman’s name is Delia (how cool is that?) and she has a thirty year old daughter who lives in the house as well.

I’m so excited about beginning this incredible journey. This summer has been probably one of the hardest transition times in my life --leaving all of my friends from Villanova, my life being completely different living at home, James being gone, and stressing out about which graduate schools to begin applying to. I’ve come face to face with the real world. At the same time though, it’s still going to be hard leaving my family to go somewhere almost completely unfamiliar and start life over (once again) in a new place. Honestly it’s a little scary, but at this point I am so ready to get out of small-town Mechanicsburg PA that I’m mostly just really excited and ready. Adventure is how we grow, right?


From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines,
Going where I list, my own master total and absolute,
Listening to others, considering well what they say,
Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating,
Gently, but with undeniable will divesting myself of
the holds that would hold me.
-- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

1 comment:

  1. I commented on your entry but apparently it deleted my post! Boo. Anyways. You're probably already on your way right now... so have a safe trip! And update this thing whenever you can. I'll read yours if you read mine ;)

    -BB

    ReplyDelete