Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hey World II

I'm interested in working in International Development, so I am planning a journey abroad next year, beginning in September. Really the purpose is to explore the developing world and to learn as much as possible about sustainable development and the lives of people who live in these countries. I think its so important to really understand the issues and the culture before getting into a field that trys to bring about change. Therefore the trip is designed as much as possible to explore different areas of development. Another goal is to become fluent or at least competent in Spanish, to be able to communicate directly with the people there.
As of now, this is the plan:

1. Language school in Antigua, Guatemala
2. Unite for Sight Program, Honduras (Public Health focus)
3. Program in Nicaragua (Construction/Microfinance/Education focus)
4. Program in Ecuador or Bolivia (Sustainable Agriculture focus)
5. Communities Rising, India (Education and Women's Rights focus)

Its a very ambitious travel schedule and will undoubtedly be hard to move around so much, especially after developing relationships with people in a certain area. It was a hard decision to work with different projects in different areas as opposed to a year in one location, but I think it is the right decision. There are so many things that I'm interested in and want to learn.

Right now I'm in the planning phase, still trying to decide between different programs in some areas. Its hard because I'm taking business classes which are sooo boring and I'm ready to begin the travels, but have to be content with planning for right now. I'm so ready to go though!

No comments:

Post a Comment